A.S. Nered, N.V. Kochergina, A.B. Bludov, Ya.A. Zamogilnaya, A.K. Valiyev, K.A. Borzov, and E.R. Musayev
N.N. Blokhin Russian Cancer Research Center, RAMS, Moscow, Russian Federation
MRI features of 5 patients with non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas (NHLs) of the spine with spinal cord compression were studied. It was revealed that NHLs of the spine were characterized by the predominantly homogeneous extraosseous component of soft-tissue density tending to spread to the adjacent vertebrae through the ligaments of the spinal column, lytic cortical layer destruction with the «wrap-around» sign, and the geographic pattern within the affected vertebrae. Compression myelopathy was observed in the spinal stenosis greater than 40 % of its anatomic width.
Keywords: non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, magnetic resonance imaging, spinal cord compression.Read in PDF (RUS)
- Beal K., Allen L., Yahalom J. Primary bone lymphoma: treatment results and prognostic factors with long-term follow-up of 82 patients. Cancer 2006; 106: 2652–6.
- Ramadan K.M., Shenkier T., Sehn L.H. et al. A clinicopathological retrospective study of 131 patients with primary bone lymphoma: a population-based study of successively treated cohorts from the British Columbia Cancer Agency. Ann. Oncol. 2007; 18: 129–35.
- Barbieri E., Cammelli S., Mauro F. et al. Primary NHL of the bone: treatment and analysis of prognostic factors for Stage I and Stage II. Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys. 2004; 59: 760–4.
- Adams H., Tzankov A., d’Hondt S. et al. Primary diffuse large B-cell lymphomas of the bone: prognostic relevance of protein expression and clinical factors. Hum. Pathol. 2008; 39: 1323–30.
- Yuste A.L., Segura A., Lopez-Tendero P. et al. Primary lymphoma of bone: a clinico-pathological review and analysis of prognostic factors. Leuk. Lymphoma 2004; 45: 853–5.
- Zinzani P.L., Carrillo G., Ascani S. et al. Primary bone lymphoma: experience with 52 patients. Haematologica 2003; 88: 280–5.
- Salvati M., Cervoni L., Artico M. et al. Primary spinal epidural non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas: a clinical study. Surg. Neurol. 1996; 46: 339–44.
- Lim C.C., Chong B.K. Spinal epidural non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma: case reports of three patients presenting with spinal cord compression. Singapore Med. J. 1996; 37: 497–500. 9. Vanneuville B., Janssens A., Lemmerling M. et al. Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma presenting with spinal involvement. Ann. Rheum. Dis. 2000; 59: 12–4.
- Oviatt D.L., Kirshner H.S., Stein R.S. Successful chemotherapeutic treatment of epidural compression in non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Cancer 1982; 49: 2446–8.
- Monnard V., Sun A., Epelbaum R. et al. Primary spinal epidural lymphoma: patients’ profile, outcome, and prognostic factors: a multicenter Rare Cancer Network study. Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys. 2006; 65: 817–23.
- Genant H.K., Wu C.Y., van Kuijk C., Nevitt M.C. Vertebral fracture assessment using a semiquantitative technique. J. Bone Miner. Res. 1993; 8: 1137–48.
- Weissman D.E., Negendank W.G., Al-Katibb A.M., Smith M.R. Bone marrow necrosis in lymphoma studied by MRI. Am. J. Hematol. 1992; 40: 42–6.
- Moulopoulos L.A., Dimopoulos M.A., Vourtsi A. et al. Bone lesions with soft-tissue mass: magnetic resonance imaging diagnosis of lymphomatous involvement of the bone marrow versus multiple myeloma and bone metastases. Leuk. Lymphoma 1999; 34: 179–84.
- Tahiri L., Benbouazza K., Amine B. et al. Primary non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma presenting as radicular syndrome: report of two cases. Rheumatol. Int. 2009; 30: 113–7.
- Xinsheng Peng, Yong Wan, Yingming Chen et al. Primary non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma of the spine with neurologic compression treated by radiotherapy and chemotherapy alone or combined with surgical decompression. Oncol. Rep. 2009; 21: 1269–75.
- Naohisa Miyakoshi, Yoichi Shimada, Tetsuya Suzuki et al. Magnetic resonance imaging of spinal involvement by hematopoietic malignancies requiring surgical decompression. J. Orthop. Sci. 2003; 8: 207–12.